Call Us For Free Consultation





Google +


divorce Tag

Law Booth - Lawyers & Notaries > Posts tagged "divorce"

NBA Star Derek Fisher to pay $1.5 Million a year in support to his ex-wife



Ex-NBA star Derek Fisher will pay $1.3 million a year in spousal support and $15,000.00 a month in child support to his former spouse.

According to reports, Derek Fisher has agreed to pay his ex-wife $109,000 in spousal support, along with $15,000 per month in child support for their 9-year old twin boys.

They will also destroy the frozen embryos as part of their divorce settlement.

How is spousal support calculated?

Among other factors the Courts look at:

  • how much money each person could reasonably earn every month
  • what the reasonable expenses are going to be for each of them, and
  • whether an alimony award from one to the other would make it possible for each to go forward with a lifestyle somewhat close to what the couple had before they split—known in divorce law as “the standard of living established during the marriage.”


Saudi Man Divorces Brides Minutes After Wedding



A Saudi bride was divorced shortly after the marriage ceremony when she ignored her groom and kept chatting with her friends on her mobile.

“Following the marriage ceremony, the groom took his bride to the hotel where they had booked a room,” a relative said. “However, as soon as the bride was in the room, she kept using her mobile. Her groom tried to get closer with her and become more intimate, but he was shocked when she ignored him, not responding to his words and action. When he asked her about the reasons, she answered she was busy communicating with her friends who were congratulating her on her marriage on the mobile. The groom asked her to delay the messages, but she refused and became angry. When he asked her if her friends were more important than he was, the bride answered that they were,” the relative said, quoted by Saudi daily Al Watan on Tuesday.

As the argument between them became unexpectedly heated, the groom told his bride he was divorcing her and left the hotel.

The relative said that a divorce case was filed and the court referred it to the reconciliation committee to assess if the newly-weds could be reconciled, the relative added.

However, the groom, too hurt in his pride to forgive, refused to withdraw the case and insisted on the divorce.

A Saudi legal expert warned against the alarmingly growing figures of divorce among newly-weds, saying that they reached around 50 per cent.

“Misunderstandings, differences in views and the easy approach to marriage without a deep appreciation of the responsibilities are among the major causes for divorce among young people,” Ahmad Al Maabi told the daily. “Marriages are bound to fail when there are no robust foundations or trust.”

How long does it take to get a divorce?

Divorce Application

In Ontario, a divorce can take 30 days to over a year depending on your situation.

The quickest way to obtain a divorce is to file a Joint Application in which both parties agree to all the issues. You can then file your Affidavit of Divorce along with your marriage certificate.

There are three heads under which individuals can seek divorce:

  1. Parties have been separated for 12 months;
  2. Adultery;
  3. Cruelty.

Depending on how quickly your documents are prepared and filed and the number of cases being handled by the Court in your area it can take 30 days to over a year. In most cases we have seen a Divorce Order be granted within 4-6 months of filing all the outstanding documents.

What is the difference between a simple divorce and a joint divorce?


A divorce application may be started by filing an application for divorce with their spouse as a respondent or a joint application.

A simple divorce can be the most inexpensive avenue to obtain a divorce Order. You can get a divorce by proving that your marriage is over. You can prove this by showing that you have been separated for a year, or that your husband or wife has had a sexual relationship with another person, or that your husband or wife has been physically or mentally cruel to you. In this application you will name your spouse as the respondent. If your spouse does not respond to the application within the prescribed time, they lose the opportunity to respond at all unless they bring a motion asking for the Courts permission to do the same. If your spouse fails to respond, the divorce effectively becomes uncontested. Which means you may file your Affidavit for Divorce and seek a divorce Order.

Alternatively you and your spouse can agree to file a joint divorce in which you agree to all the issues (which can be through a separation agreement) and advise the Court of your intention to divorce. This can be the quickest method of divorce. You may file the Affidavit for Divorce with the application.

Family Law – Which Court do I apply to?


In Ontario, family law matters are dealt with in separate courts. Each avenue has its benefits and drawbacks.

You must apply to the Superior Court of Justice if you want to do the following:

  1. Apply for a simple divorce;
  2. Ask for custody, access or support as part of the divorce;
  3. Equalization and division of family property.

You can apply to the Ontario Court of Justice if you want to do the following:

  1. Spousal support;
  2. Custody or access to children.

This Court also hears adoption and child protections matters.

You and your spouse can also resolve matters and issues between each other through private settlement, negotiation, collaborative family law, mediation or arbitration instead of going to Court.

Here at Law Booth we believe in the collaborative approach to family law matters. If you want a Separation Agreement drafted, feel free to call us.